Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Good Times for the Introvert

 Can a person be a closet introvert? 

I think so. Although when in front of people I can walk the walk & sing the song, but I'm more comfortable in small groups of people I know well. Alone time is a precious thing. When I leave the crowd I'm exhausted. Drained. And really in need of that alone time. It recharges and relaxes. 

Now with everyone locked down or afraid to go out, there's so much downtime that... it's okay.  I've adapted like I think most people have. The first lockdown had me staring out the windows but looking back, I wish I had used it to clean out closets, write a new book, or done something more constructive. Why did I waste all those days of downtime?

I think there's a little bit of introvert in all of us, but not a lot of extrovert in some of us. Being an extrovert means you love people, crowds, attention. I admire those people with that zest for the spotlight. Do I ever want that? No. It's not in my DNA. 

So yes, I think an introvert can adjust easily to this crazy world we find ourselves in but they have to look to the opportunity and not to the negativity. Instead of thinking "Why can't I" the questions should be "How can I use this time?" 

It's a bit like what I'd imagine retirement would be like. You suddenly have all the time to do anything but spend days bored and restless. 

Planning this time is what we all need now. Stuck in the house? What would we do if we only had more time.  And please, don't think painting a picture, playing an instrument or even writing that book is not worth it. It is. Get creative, bring the spark of things you always wanted to do and do them. 

Let your Introvert flag fly! 

No comments:

Post a Comment